Friday, August 31, 2007

"Chrys" Is A Boy!

Last evening when I went to bed, Chrys's chrysalis was changing color, so I thought there was a change coming.
This morning it had turned more of a black than it was last evening.

When I shone the flashlight on the chrysalis, the wings could be seen plainly through the covering that was becoming more clear.


More of the wings being seen through the covering of the chrysalis.



At noon today I saw the covering is splitting open I ran for the camera to get it on movie mode.




When he came out, he immediately stretched his front legs to hook onto the gold ring at the top of the empty chrysalis. The wings were crumpled and limp.



How do they know to reach for the gold ring at the top???




I had taken the stick out of the jar it was in and placed it in a pint jar so I could get better pictures. The first time he unfolded his wings, I saw he was a boy!!!When he got more active, I took him outside and coaxed him onto my fingers. The proof he is a boy is the dots on the inside of the center lower wings.

At about 3:30, I took him up to the wishing well in our back yard, and gently place him on the flowers. There he "flexed" his wings, and showed off how very beautiful and handsome he is !!!

An hour later I thought he was still sitting on the flower so I went up to look, but there was no butterfly to be seen, so I guess he is gone. Bye, Bye, Chrys, our first butterfly for this summer!










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is as beautiful as Michaela. Maybe they will get together and make more beautiful butterflies!

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL:-), He is just beautiful