Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Baby Deer

Today on my way over to Ken and Phebe's house to go with Phebe, Emma and Rachel to do some shopping etc. I came up over a knoll, (going through the woods on Pigs Ear Road) and there were two spotted fawns in the middle of the road. It didn't take them long to scurry to the other side, run into the woods, and stand and look at me. I was so disapointed I didn't have the camera with me, but they probably would not have stayed long enough for me to take a picture anyway ! Maybe next time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miriam, I'm relieved about your wounded bird. (I agree it's a hawk, probably a sharpshinned or a Cooper's). This happens fairly often at our house when birds hit the windows (even though I'm careful to keep them dirty!). On occasion, when a bird seems badly hurt, I've covered it with a shoebox with one end cut out, to shield from predators, with a small dish of water nearby. I don't know whether this helps but it makes me feel like I'm doing something! Once our cat brought a brilliant red cardinal into the house still alive - I placed it outside in the above manner and later found that it had obviously bathed in the water before taking off. (don't know whether it would ultimately have survived though - they say birds often get infections after this kind of experience). It's amazing how tough creatures are.