Saturday, July 15, 2006

Post-hospital

Julie here again. It sure is nice to see Mama without tubes coming out of her arms! We did have a moment last night that wasn't so fun. Mama wanted to sleep in the recliner to keep herself a little more up right, so I decided to sleep on the couch next to her. At about 2 am I woke up to hear her getting up and moving around. She "just didn't feel right," but couldn't pinpoint a pain or discomfort. Her blood sugar was up, but what could we do about that right then? She didn't have fever, but was a bit sweaty. No pain relievers since the pharmacy was closed by the time they left the hospital. She normally only takes one Tylenol if she takes any, so I told her to take one more since her prescription pain killer would be more intense that the regular adult dose of Tylenol she ususally avoids. I had decided that if that didn't do something in 15-20 minutes, we were headed back to the hospital. Thanks to Phebe keeping Asa at her place overnight, I didn't have to worry about him while trying to figure out what to do. Luckily, within about 10 minutes, Mama's breathing and posture seamed to be more relaxed. She said she was feeling better and sat back to sleep the rest of the night.

I picked up Asa and Mama's prescriptions in the morning. They were both asleep by the time I got back home! Mama slept a lot most of the morning, but we spent the afternoon going over food choices/charts and new meds. She had some good meals today and had a couple of exchanges left over. She even got in her first shower for the week!
Mama also has to keep record of her blood sugar twice a day for the next two weeks. If she wasn't battered and bruised from the IV's, blood being drawn, and glucose tests in the hospital, she will be by then!

And I thought my bruise was bad! Her other arm is just as bad.

No comments: